Sunday, November 8, 2009

the shack.

in july i returned to the delta after being in texas for five weeks, training for the years ahead. Mom and Dad flew in shortly thereafter so that Mom could see the Delta and so that they could both help me get settled. It was while they were here that we first saw the inside of what would become my very cozy delta home.

my home is probably about 300 square feet total. It is situated back from the road in a nice neighborhood in Indianola. i think that its distance from the road is the only reason the very affluent neighbors let it continue to exist on their street. it is a bit of an eyesore. the white paint is dirtied by the shit of flora. There are haphazard wires bringing electricity through the attic. There is a certain spookiness about the shady darkness.

the place simply called to me.

the tiny size reminded me of grandma's cabin. the fact that i wouldn't have to deal with roommates sold it totally and completely. did i know that i would be sharing my home with a petting zoo's worth of attic creatures? no. do i have fuzzy mold growing on my kitchen cabinets? usually. do cockroaches crawl over my face while i am sleeping? probably. but i am the only decision maker in the entire home. i can wear as much spandex as i want and nobody gets mad about the mess except for me (and only after there is a dramatic increase in the number of roaches due to the pile-up of dirty dishes).

No comments:

Post a Comment